FAQ for Renters

What Kind of Rental Help Can I Receive?

Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8) are available for qualified candidates to provide rental assistance. These programs are funded by the US federal government through the department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and administered through Portage Metropolitan Housing Authority (PMHA) and other local PHAs.

In addition to monthly housing subsidy programs, PMHA participates in numerous programs designed to increase benefits for low income residents. These programs include the Moving to Work, Homeownership Program and more. Learn more about PMHA Programs for residents.

How Do I Know If I Qualify?

Rental voucher programs provide housing and rental subsidies to low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities in the state of Ohio. To qualify, applicants need to be residents of the state of Ohio and have an income that is either equal to or less than the specified maximum. For Portage County, the maximum income is ______. If you meet the eligibility requirements, PMHA can help guide you through the application process.

Where Can I Find Housing

PMHA provides assistance through a portfolio of housing units for families, disabled persons and senior citizens. Public housing accounts for most of the housing owned and managed by PMHA. In addition to these units, PMHA administers housing subsidy programs to families for the payment of rent and utilities from private landlords. Visit our Housing & Properties page to find information about available housing.

How Much Is a Section 8 Voucher Worth?

The amount of your Section 8 voucher is based off of three factors:

  1. The Fair Market Rent that has been set for the metropolitan area where your property is located,
  2. The payment standard set by the Public Housing Authority
  3. The number of bedrooms your unit has.

If utilities are included in the monthly rent for a unit, PMHA will include an amount for utilities when issuing the Housing Choice Voucher. If the rent for your unit does not include utilities, PMHA will issue the tenant a separate amount for utility allowance or may issue a utility reimbursement directly to the tenant or directly to the utility company.

How Much Will I Have to Contribute to Rent?

Rents are charged on the basis of household income, with subsidy from the federal government intended to pay the remaining costs of operation and maintenance. The amount that a tenant contributes to the rent will be the greater of the following: 30 percent of your monthly adjusted income, 10 percent of your monthly gross income, the welfare rent, or ______, which is the minimum rent amount set by PMHA.

How Long Will I Have to Wait to Move In?

For PMHA-owned public housing units, once your application is approved, you can expect to move in ______. For privately-owned Section 8 properties, PMHA must first determine that it has a reasonable rent for the housing market and then the housing unit must pass a housing inspection. Typically, this process takes _____ weeks.

Can I Move In Before Section 8 Inspection?

No, this inspection is necessary before moving in to assure PMHA that the housing unit is safe and sanitary.

Other Questions?

Want to know more about the steps you need to take to receive rental assistance, or have specific questions about available properties? PMHA is here to help!

Contact us today and we’ll answer any questions you have.