Lead Hazards & Tips for Safety

Jul 25, 2022

Lead is a highly toxic material that can be very dangerous to humans. Paint that contains lead was commonly used in homes prior to the 1970s, but it was banned because it can be a serious health hazard. That’s why regulators have put rules in place for disclosing information about lead-based paint in a home. This article can help you understand more about lead paint and what to do about it to keep people safe.

Signs of Lead Paint

Lead paint was officially banned in 1978. If a home was built prior to that time, it is more likely to contain lead-based paint. If you find paint chipping or flaking somewhere in a home, it’s best to have it tested by a professional. 

Dangers of Lead Paint

Exposure to lead poses a serious health risk to people of all ages, but children under the age of six are particularly vulnerable. Lead can cause irreversible damage to many organs and systems, and it can interfere with a child’s healthy growth and development. Pregnant women are also at increased risk because lead can impact an unborn baby if the mother comes in contact with it.

What Landlords Need To Do with Lead Paint at a Property

All tenants, including non-Section 8 tenants, must be given educational information about lead-based paint in the home. The property owner and renter must complete and sign a disclosure, which reveals any known lead-based paint hazards.

For Section 8 rental units, landlords must have inspections to qualify for the program. If an inspector finds any deteriorated or damaged paint, it is assumed to be lead-based paint unless the paint has been tested and cleared by a licensed inspector. A properly trained professional must stabilize all deteriorated paint before the unit is occupied or within 30 days of notification if the unit is already occupied.

Portage Metropolitan Housing Authority

You can learn more about PMHA’s housing options or contact us if you have questions, comments, or requests.

Related Articles

PMHA Giving Tree

The PMHA Giving Tree assists our housing program participants during the cold winter months by providing free hats, gloves, mittens and scarves to those in need. This is made possible thanks to the generosity of various donors. If you and your household members are in...

Why Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detectors in Public Housing Are Critical

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at least 430 people die from accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning each year in the U.S. Plus, another 50,000 Americans end up in the hospital each year due to accidental CO poisoning. With cooler...

CONTACT US

PMHA welcomes your questions, comments and requests.

2832 State Route 59
Ravenna, OH 44266
(330) 297-1489

info@portagehousing.org